We’ve all heard the prediction: Voice is about to take over. But when exactly? And how much will it account for in consumer spending? Although adoption rates seem to stagger, it’s best for marketers and business owners everywhere to start to wrap their heads around how voice will transform the user experience and how it will shift commerce forever.
Here are a few important statistics that paint the whole picture to help you prepare for the voice search revolution.
- 50% of all searches will be voice searches by 2020 (comScore)
- But… According to a small (1,000 people) SUMO Heavy survey, 46 percent never use virtual assistants and only 19 percent saying they use one rarely. Six percent said they use a voice assistant monthly while 13 percent use weekly and 16 percent do so on a daily basis.
- No screen – Gartner says that by 2020 about 30% of all searches will be done without a screen
- Smart speaker ownership by household should be up to 55% by 2022 (OC&C Strategy Consultants) totaling 21.4 million only in the US (Activate).
- One-in-six Americans own a voice-activated smart-speaker (Edison Research and NPR)
- Although there are more Android phones in the world, iOS users outpace Android users in terms of voice assistant usage across the board (SUMO Heavy survey)
- One billion voice searches per month, per Alpine.AI (2018)
- By 2022, voice is expected to be a $40 billion channel. In 2019, voice shopping accounts for close to $2 billion in consumer spending (Source: OC&C Strategy Consultants).
- Where are they? – 52% of people keep their voice-activated speakers in their living rooms. 25% keep them in their bedrooms, while 22% keep them in their kitchens. Google
- 22% of smart home speaker owners have made a purchase using their device. (Edison Research)
- BrightLocal Study
- 58% consumers that have used voice search to find local business information within the last year. Of those,
- 46% voice search users look for a local business daily.
- 27% visit the website of a local business after conducting a voice search (and remember you only get one result in voice!)
- 6% of smart home speaker users conduct local searches at least once a week—with 53% performing daily searches.
- Smart speaker shipments grew nearly 200% YOY in Q3 2018 globally, according to Strategy Analytics
- The most active age group on voice is 25 to 49-year-olds with 65% speaking to their voice-enabled devices at least once per day ( PwC). Nevertheless, the 18-24 demographic is credited with helping to drive early adoption of the technology.
- Also according to PwC, 71% of wearable device owners say they’ll perform more voice searches in the future.
- “How” or “what” and adjectives like “best” or “easy” are some of the most popular voice search words within queries. Nearly 20% of all voice search queries are triggered by a set of 25 keywords. (seoClarity).
- According to Narvar, 51% of voice shoppers use it to research products. 22% of those consumers make purchases directly through voice and 17% have used it to reorder items.
There’s no doubt about it, voice technology is revolutionizing ecommerce. The numbers don’t lie, voice is a powerful force that is only getting stronger. Make sure your business is one step ahead and prepare for the voice revolution.